Friday, July 13, 2007

Library 2.0

I read all the perspectives and there were a few things that I came away with. First, I agree with the sentiments issued in the second perspective about having the "Techno worship" phenomenon occur. I think that often times, it is just a cool thing to say or do...My library has this or that and it is not really something that is utilized, just a cool thing to "Get". The fourth perspective further elaborates, basically saying we should not acquire technology just to see if we could do it, but does it have a purpose?? That is what I am asking myself with each of these 23 things...does this have a purpose?? Would I use this? Most of the time, I have to say that I wouldn't because the process is too time consuming. So I feel that if I think it is not practical, the majority of the library population we serve will think so as well. I also, however think we should know all about this stuff to become familiar and to raise the bar so to speak. (If we had a class on creating MYSPACE pages, that would probably be all the computer training we would need out here in BR.) Amazon and Google are really the model for usefulness because they are very easy and user friendly. If you can turn on a computer, you can use their sites. Most of the time, I feel bogged down in all the stuff that these other sites entail like, it won't let me on/in because I forgot my PIN, pasword, user name...fill in the blank. It has to be easy for people to use.

I like that the fifth perspective addresses Library superstars which I think is great because while I know the article is talking about technology, I still think that the library should always be filled with superstars and I know more often than not when a patron askes a question we are not finished with them until they are filled with tons of information about their query. I think that the technology is great and EXTREMELY useful but happy, willing faces make library employees "Superstars." We are not the MVA, people!

Anyway, the fifth perspective I find to be a humorous one. I know people want us to drift toward the B&N, Borders model of reading and coffee drinking cafe and I do think that is a'coming...but the idea that we are a "knowledge spa" is frankly hilarious. And just for the record, I will not be doing any foot massages here...patrons will be having to visit another "knowledge spa" for that bit of luxury. Ha Ha!

No comments: